These are important if you are thinking of buying a house in Marcia Road
The area around Old Kent Road that includes Marcia Road benefited in the 2000s from the knock-on effect of the South Bank and Bermondsey redevelopment, but in June 2016 Southwark Council announced a specific action plan to regenerate the area.
UPDATE JUNE 2016: SOUTHWARK COUNCIL CONSULTS ON OLD KENT ROAD AREA ACTION PLAN (i.e. regeneration plan)
The essential feature of the plan is that over the next 20 years the whole area will become part of, and look like, Central London.
Changes to the area near Marcia Road include:
- Bakerloo line extension station near the Tesco end of Marcia Rd (opening 2030 in the plan but the mayor is apparently pressing for 2028).
- Tesco and Lidl sites to be mixed shops and residential up to 8 storeys high.
- DFS/Maplin site to be plaza extension of Burgess park.
- A revamp of the face of Old Kent Road (OKR) making it a ‘modern boulevard’.
- Large redevelopment of the Mandela Way area for offices and a park.
- Opening up access to new Mandela Way developments from East Street via Hendre Road.
- Removal of the flyover; the roundabout to be replaced by residential developments.
- Significantly greater population and more jobs in the area.
So, while no direct changes to Marcia Rd are suggested, the long-awaited general redevelopment will provide a smarter environment and a larger, more prosperous local workforce. The houses will therefore become even more desirable to both purchasers and renters.
Download the plan documents from:
All comments for this phase of the consultation must be received by 5pm on 23rd September 2016.
Send an email to or you can write to:
Chief Executive’s Department
London SE1P 5LX
Tel: 0207 525 5741
Fax: 0207 084 0347